My choices will be spread through out the All-Star Break as follows:
Monday: Rookie of the Year Award and Manager of the Year Award
Tuesday: Goose Gossage Award (Reliever of the Year) and Pitcher of the Year award
Wednesday: Most Valuable Player Award
Pitcher of the Year:
1) Josh Johnson – Marlins, Choosing among the top 3 is difficult as all 3 are very deserving and have pitched well but in the end I chose Johnson because he leads the league in WAR, WPA, FIP, WHIP and ERA. I can't really blame the guy that he only has 9 wins it is really out of his control but everything that he can control has been masterful.
2) Roy Halladay – Phillies, coming to the NL has been good for Halladay. He has excelled and very well could have been number 1. All of his numbers are excellent but in the end Johnson just edged him out but he did beat Johnson when they met head to head so he has that going for him.
3) Ubaldo Jimenez – Rockies, 15-1 2.20 ERA 113 strikeouts in 127 innings plus a no hitter, you would think that those numbers put you at the top of the pitcher of the year list but alas his advanced stats just don't quite measure up to Halladay and Johnson. A great first half regardless.
4) Mat Latos – Padres, Latos always had the stuff to be great and now he has finally put it all together. He has put together a very nice season statistically and has been the ace of a very good Padres pitching staff the one big question for the second half is how many innings do the Padres let him go and does he run out of gas down the stretch?
5) Tim Lincecum – Giants, this season is not as good as seasons past but still even with out his top of the line stuff he has been one of the best pitchers in the National League. A rough patch in June had set him back from the Johnson, Halladay, Jimenez race but you can not count out the 2 time defending champion if he pitches lights out in the second half.
If your on Twitter you should definitely follow the The Crazy Crabbers. If you're not you should really consider joining, lots of good stuff going on there.